Ag Industry: 8 reasons Why I Love What I Do! August 26, 2013
By Julie Murphree, Arizona Farm Bureau
Pinch yourself if you love what you do. I do. I pinched myself. Promise. I have several reasons why I love what I do. Part of it involves the industry I work in and for. When you work in an industry as diverse, complex, productive, innovative and more it’s not hard to see why it can be truly rewarding. Plus, my role is to promote the farm and ranch industry. Here are some of my core reasons for loving what I do.
1. I get to work with business professionals — farmers and ranchers — that really know their stuff.
2. I learn from everyone I work with including the Farm Bureau team at Arizona Farm Bureau (and hoping I impart some wisdom to them too).
3. I challenge my skill set every day with what we’re trying to do to promote Arizona agriculture.
4. Though off the farm, this suburban girl still gets to enjoy “open spaces” a great deal of time. (I have become a wimp since leaving the farm; no longer can change a tire … well, my three brothers never thought I could anyway … )
5. I love that Farm Bureau celebrates the “Farm kids” at our meetings, gatherings and events. You always see little ones everywhere you go. They remind us they’ll be our next generation of leaders. We celebrate family!
6. When you go to the farm or ranch, you still get to see the barn kittens a time or two. (Though I’m a distant observer as I’m allergic to cats.)
7. I love working for the “generations.” I’m not just working for the current “boss” or head of the farm operations I’m promoting; I know the next generation may be there. So when I work their story I keep that in mind. Will the next generation be there to continue the legacy?
8. I love knowing that every day is different for my role as a promoter of the Arizona agriculture industry.
Thank you, Lord, for what I am given the honor of doing for the agriculture industry. May I ever strategize to do a better job.