Beauty on a Budget February 1, 2012
You are a smart shopper, right? So when it comes to clothes you should never pay full price. Yet, your willpower weakens when you find that wardrobe piece that you’ve just got to have. It fits! It’s the right color! It looks good on you! Then, you look at the price and go into sticker shock.
This does not have to be the typical experience, however. With a few basic strategies, we can always come away with the best deals. True, developing your fashion budget strategy may take a bit more time, but your bank account will thank you for it.
- First, keep a list of needed items so you stay on track and on budget. If you’ve listed one black skirt, keep it on your “Needs” list until you find the perfect skirt at the perfect price.
- Create a beauty fund and put a few dollars away each week. This means you truly have dollars to spend on your wardrobe and beauty accessories that you might not have otherwise.
- Cheap may mean quality is sacrificed. Be careful and remember the old maxim, “You get what you pay for.”
- Shop for free at cosmetic counters. If you’d like to try some free samples of various products the best place is often the cosmetic counter where they stock “new” product for the counter people with samples to hand out. Often, when I purchase my favorite fragrance, I’ll ask for sample perfumes (after all I just spent money) and use the sample fragrances on my trips.
- Avoid stores that don’t provide a full refund policy. We always have reasons why we have to return something.
- Leave price tags on for a couple of days to make sure you really want it.
- Ask yourself, “Do I really need this item?” If it’s not on your “needs” list than it’s not critical. Impulse purchases are the main culprit for our budget busting habits.
- Shop second-hand. Some of my favorite wardrobe pieces came from second-hand stores. Plus, period clothes often come in wonderful fabrics and are sometimes far better made than their modern counterparts.
- Our Top 10 Wardrobe Mistakes! (juliesfreshair.com)
- 33 Ways to Mix it Up when Mixing and Matching Your Wardrobe (juliesfreshair.com)
- Score, Sample, and Splurge (lpopinions.wordpress.com)
- Tips to Save Money When Buying Beauty Products (savings.com)
- The Suit Does Make the Man: The Core Wardrobe for Men (juliesfreshair.com)
- Fresh Air’s 2012 Predictions: (juliesfreshair.com)