Food for Thought July 1, 2013
Guest Blogger, Peggy Jo Goodfellow, Arizona Farm Bureau
Have you heard the phrase, healthy eating equals healthy living? Americans and certainly our Arizona families today need to make healthier food choices.
“Good nutrition can help lower the risk for heart disease, stroke, diabetes, some cancers and osteoporosis,” said Dr. Glenna McCollum-Cloud, registered dietitian. “For the first time in our history, the United States is raising a generation of children who may live sicker, shorter lives than their parents!”
By choosing to take a few easy steps toward healthy eating we can all live healthier lives.
Step 1: Shop the perimeter of the grocery store first, then the aisles. Think about it. Dairy products, eggs, meats, fruits and vegetables and whole grains are all located around the “edges” of the grocery store.
Step 2: Eat nutrient dense and colorful foods. At mealtime, your plate of food should have a rainbow of at least 5 colors.
Step 3: Monitor your portions. Generally speaking, your stomach is as big as your fist. So, for example, portion of meat should not be bigger than your fist.
Step 4: Get physically active. Taking 10,000 steps a day equals healthy living.
- Eat healthy and live to your full potential! (bearsfitness.wordpress.com)
- 7 Healthy Eating Tips for Women Over 50 (prweb.com)
- Slashing Your Grocery Bill (coupons.answers.com)
- Incredible Food Facts and Health Benefits # 22 (dishingitoutwithclarissa.com)
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices At Any Age (donnaposley.wordpress.com)
- Posted in : General
- Author : freshair